#11 Gamifying the Classroom

We have spent a week reviewing for the 11th grade NeSA test.  To make it more exciting than doing worksheets, I decided to gamify the lesson.  Instead of doing review questions from Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra 2 classes on a worksheet I split the questions between Kahoot, Quizizz, and Quizalize.  Students worksheet looked like this one down below.


Students put the name of a country and the countries flag.  We then did three different quizzes on different platforms, students recorded their score, and the three highest scores got a prize.  Here are some example worksheets students filled out:



Students were more entertained and engaged than doing a worksheet.


Students did a great job, some of the quizzes were more difficult I will provide links to the games we played, but overall students learned more than doing a worksheet and giving feedback.  I posted a leaderboard the next day, students liked seeing who won and what country they were.

Quizizz Algebra Review

Kahoot! Geometry Quiz

Quizalize Algebra 2 Review


I will improve this lesson for next year, possibly including badges and holding the olympics over multiple days.  Students being this engaged will help students retain more information during the review and learn new content with more of a passion.

2 comments:

  1. I just discovered your blog and have been reading nearly every post. At first I was excited because I finally found someone teaching the way I want to teach (projects, applications, FUN!). Then I came across this post and was floored when I found out you're from Nebraska, which is where I'm from and teach! It's not every day you stumble across a fellow NE math teacher blogger. I'm so happy to follow you now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it. I see that you have a blog too, I'm not teaching geometry this year, but will definitely bookmark it.

      Delete